According to Chinese medicine, some foods have a cooling effect on the body. Eating such foods when the weather is cold is likely to lead to diarrhea or other stomach upsets in some people. If you like fish but have trouble with it in winter, here’s a recipe that may help fill your craving, provided you like–and can tolerate–spicy food.
Stir-fried fish with ginger and chili
Ingredients, per person:
- oil for stir-frying
- 1/2 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 white fish fillet, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 slices fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- chili or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- chopped coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
1. Fry the onion in a little oil until soft. Add the ground coriander and continue frying for a minute or two.
2. Add the ginger, the chili or cayenne and the fish. Stir-fry until the fish is done, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Serve over rice, with some coriander leaves sprinkled on top.